WelcomeFriends of RCAHistoryEventsNewsletterPhoto GalleryCemetery MapRegulationsDonationsContactDirections
 

In 1849 twenty-two citizens each pledged financial support of $100 and organized the Andover Cemetery Association. The Association purchased eleven acres on the south side of Salem Street, and during the summer of 1850 the land was surveyed and laid out. It was consecrated as the Andover Cemetery on October 10, 1850, and Captain Francis Ingalls, who died November 9, 1850, was the first adult to be buried in the new cemetery.

On April 7, 1855, North Andover was separated from Andover to form a separate town, and in 1875 the name of the cemetery was changed from Andover Cemetery to its present name, Ridgewood Cemetery. Over the years it has been enlarged considerably. Descendants of many of North Andover's early families are interred within.
Ridgewood Cemetery's monuments reflect many names from North Andover's history, names that today mark streets, schools and other landmarks.